Monday, March 31, 2008


Last Saturday a new customer was in the shop and she had the best bag slung loosely from her shoulder. When I complimented her on it and that I loved the organic look to it I found out there was much more to this bag then meets the eye. I knew as she was talking that I wanted to run home and share it with all of you.

First some background: Did you know that between 350 and 400 million children around the world still go to bed hungry every night? Hunger and malnutrition kill more people than AIDS, malaria, and TB COMBINED! In fact, every five seconds a child dies because he or she is hungry.

FEED Projects was started in 2006 when acclaimed model and activist Lauren Bush designed a bag to benefit the United Nations World Food Program's (WFP) School Feeding operations. Lauren, a WFP Honorary Spokesperson who has visited several WFP food aid operations around the world, was inspired by the plight of the people she met on her travels. She took a special interest in WFP's School Feeding program, which provides children with a nutritious meal a day and provides incentive for them to get an education. Inspired by the aesthetic of the bags of food distributed by WFP, she created the FEED 1 bag, a reversible burlap and cotton bag stamped with "FEED the children of the world" and the number "1" to signify that each bag feeds one child in school for one year. That bears repeating...the sale of ONE bag feeds one child in school for a full year!

They are big, roomy, reversible, made from 100% organic cotton fabric and sustainable burlap, which is made from raw jute fibers. Natural jute fibers grow without fertilizers or pesticides, are carbon-dioxide neutral and naturally decomposable. Jute can be grown in 4-6 months, making is a rapidly renewable resource. So not only are you feeding a child in another part of our world, you are also choosing a greener alternative to disposable paper and plastic bags.

I am waiting on a response to be able to offer them in the store but do not wait on me...you can purchase them here: FEED bags

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well as soon as I heard that my favorite "magazine" was on line I was up and down the back hills as quickly as possible (and probably a tad over the speed limit!) With Mike's left eye patch, he couldn't possibly see the speedometer...so it was race car driver, Marilyn, in the lead! I took the checkered flag not by car but by how fast I scurried up the stairs and how fast I booted up the computer! LOVED your latest "issue" from frogs to fiddlehead ferns to "finds" at White Cottage! I always feel like I experience this great opportunity of learning every time I read your newsletter without the pain of studying! And no exams. Gotta love that!!!! I do want to extend my belated sympathy in your loss of your furry soul, Elvis. Those of us with part dog souls, know the immense loss and deep sadness...but we also share in the sheer joy you will eventually feel of memories of Elvis in the future. They always leave just beautiful paw prints on our heart, don't they? And...what a wonderful legacy to Elvis that you have now started your "adopt of furry soul" column!!!! You just "shine" from your heart, Lisa. I treasure the friendship we have kindled because I share in so many of your thoughts and values...(not to mention the shared treasures from White Cottage now in my home!) Last but not least, the "tour" of the Cottage from Lancaster was special indeed. Mike and I have always had our most special "sporting activity" of touring homes whenever we get the opportunity...be that a home under construction (at which time we "move walls" and "change spaces" to our own heartbeat without ever disturbing one piece of lumber!)...or going through "Open Houses" or "Tour of Homes" whenever they appear. Your "cottage feature" is just incredibly wonderful fodder for our "sport" and we feel like we get our "fix" at least monthly via your newsletter!! You certainly wear a lot of different hats in life...and do all of them so extremely well...especially the White Cottage Newsletter! Keep writing!! I am still waiting to buy your first book! Bye for now. Marilyn

Anonymous said...

I love the White Cottage and often drive up from Lancaster to shop—my daughter in Athens, GA is also a big fan. As a Bexley Junior High alum myself, I loved the memories of Camp Tar Hollow the story in your newsletter stirred. Thanks!
Denise

Anonymous said...

I was lingering over your monthly newsletter as usual and wishing I lived closer to your beautiful shop. I am in Michigan so I don't get down too often. I was in Ohio recently and went to another store that someone referred to me.I was expecting a store full of eye candy like yours and I must say I was very disappointed. They had maybe 2 vintage items and they were crazy expensive. Needless to say I walked away thinking "White Cottage" should be in a magazine! My heart starts to palpitate as I approach your store, it's like the anticipation of opening a gift!

Anyway another reason I am writing is that I read your blog, I must admit I am not a blogger and I don't read all that many blogs. Regardless of that fact, I read with interest your blurb about the "feed bags". I had seen Drew Barrymore on Oprah and was touched by the fact that $50 could feed a child for a year. I turned the tv off and thought I should do something. Well as the days passed I got busy and forgot, then I read your blog and was quickly reminded how childhood hunger is such a problem in this world. I am a stay home mom and I thought what can I do? Well I sell on ebay and I was thinking I could post a little blurb on each auction and maybe people would donate money or buy the bags. Awareness is the first step. I really want to be a seller of vintage goodies with a mission. I for too long have taken for granted that my children go to bed each night with full stomachs and now I feel compelled to do something. Anyway I just wanted to say thank you for reminding me that if we each do a little it can really make a difference.

rebecca

The Plum Tree said...

I have found you through Shelley at Sweet Pea, thank you so much for sharing such a tragic but hopeful situation. It seem incredible that one bag can make that big a difference in a childs life, no matter where they live.I will be going to the link to buy my bag as well as some for my friends.